We all know the typical wedding vows, but what if you want to write your own? Whether you’re looking to add a personal touch to your ceremony, or you simply want to make a promise that’s unique to you and your partner, writing your own vows can be a beautiful way to show your love for one another.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Keep it personal. Your vows should reflect your relationship and the things that are important to you as a couple. Avoid making generic statements that could apply to any relationship – instead, focus on the things that make your love for one another special.
- Keep it simple. This is not the time to get flowery or poetic – instead, focus on speaking from the heart. A few well-chosen words will be more impactful than a lengthy speech.
- Make sure you’re on the same page. Before you start writing, have a discussion with your partner about what you both want to include in your vows. This will help ensure that your promises are in line with one another.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Writing your vows can be a daunting task, so give yourself plenty of time to do it. Start brainstorming early on, and give yourself a few drafts to work with.
- Practice, practice, practice. Once you’ve got your vows down on paper, make sure to practice saying them out loud. This will help you feel more confident and prevent you from stumbling on your big day.
Writing your own wedding vows can be a challenge, but it’s also a great opportunity to express your love for one another in a truly unique way. Use these tips to get started, and you’ll be well on your way to crafting vows that you’ll both cherish for a lifetime.
Wedding vow examples
If you’re stuck on what to say, take a look at these wedding vow examples for inspiration:
“Promise to always be by your side, through the good and the bad. I will love and cherish you for the rest of my days.”
“Take you to be my (husband/wife), the one I will laugh with, cry with, and grow with. I will love you unconditionally for the rest of our lives.”
“Love and cherish you, from this day forward. I will be your faithful partner in life, and I will always be there for you, through good times and bad. Promise to always be honest with you, and to always communicate with you openly and honestly. I will always stand by you and support you, no matter what. I love you, today, tomorrow, and forever.”
“Vow to always be honest with you, to communicate with you, and to be there for you, always.”
“I take you to be my husband/wife, my partner in life. I will love and cherish you forever.”
More wedding vow examples
“Promise to never go to bed angry, and to always kiss you goodnight.”
“I vow to always be your best friend, and to always be there for you, no matter what.”
Another option: “I shall to always be honest with you and to never keep secrets from you. I will always be open and honest with you, because that’s what true love is.”
“To my best friend and love of my life. I take you to be my husband/wife, with all my heart and soul. Promise to always be there for you, to laugh with you, cry with you, and to grow with you. I will love and cherish you for the rest of our lives.”
“Comfort you in times of sorrow and rejoice with you in times of happiness. I will be faithful to you, honest with you, and respect you always.”